cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS on Vlan Interfaces

jeffland_98
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3845 router installed at each of two sites and I have installed a hwic-4esw card in each router. One of the 10/100 Ethernet ports on the hwic-4esw connects to one of two isp routers. The

isp's routers include an E3 interface (34 Mbps) for a dedicated link between the two sites.

I could only get this port to act as a switchport (no switchport cmd wouldn't take, said it wasn't the right hardware) so I set up a vlan interface with an IP address and assigned it to one of the

hwic-4esw ports to allow routing on the port. I now want to enable QoS over the link to prioritize the production traffic but when I tried, I get an error message that I can't use queing parameters on a vlan interface (see attached for the screen-dump of the SDM message).

Is there a way to get this to work on an hwic-4esw port? If not, what type of interface would be the best choice for a 100base-tx interface to the isp routers? -I have both HWIC and NME slots available.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

jwdoherty
Level 1
Level 1

The HWIC-4ESW appears very limited in its QoS support.

Have you tried using either of the two built in gig copper ports?

If you're short of ports, the HWIC-1FE or HWIC-2FE might do.

QoS capabilities vary by IOS. What version are you running on the 3845?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card