Views
Helpful
Replies

7600 series router or 6500 switch

puneet_kandwal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I was working in one of the solution in which cusotmer suggested 7600 router with sup eng 32.

As the wan feeds were in ethernet , I had suggested 6500 switch to the customer.

Now I need to justify the fact of suggesting 6500 instead of 7600 series router.

pls let me know on what all points we can justify the same.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Puneet

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jwdoherty
Level 1
Level 1

I've directly asked Cisco what's the difference between the platforms and initially received "the 6500 is a LAN platform and the 7600 is a WAN platform". But if you press them, they will admit they are pretty much the same box, however they also said they do intend to make them more different, as an example the recent separation in IOS trains. (This seems to agree with much what the other posters have noted.)

As to your question of suggesting a 6500, if everything looks "LAN" like, perhaps it's more suitable than a 7600. If the "WAN Ethernet" connections will need "WAN" features, then the 7600 might be more suitable (not sure there are many vs. 6500, at least today). Besides difference is software features (if any important to you), the biggest issue is likely what line cards you want to place in the chassis.

PS:

Just wondering, since you mentioned sup32, and "WAN Ethernet", are there features needed from the 6500/7600 chassis or might a lesser WAN or LAN platform do the job?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

thomas.anthony
Level 1
Level 1

Both has its own advantage and disadvantage, we can justify which device is good only if we understand the client requirement

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

6500 and 7600 are the same product. Cisco has chosen to carry on marketing with two numbers because some customer like to hear switch and some like to hear router. In reality, the box is both things.

Hope this helps,please rate post if it does!

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Puneet

As Paolo said the 2 are very closely related but they are not addressing entirely the same solution. Cisco have started the 12.2SR train for the 7600 router and kept the 12.2SX train for the 6500 chassis. Attached is a link with a bit more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/prod_bulletin0900aecd805df25d.html

In essence you need to decide youre exact set of requirements and then choose between them. Generally speaking the chassis is usually one of the cheaper parts of the overall solution with 6500/7600 so your module investment should be protected in the long run whichever way you choose to go.

HTH

Jon

HI Jon, thanks for your inputs.

Atleast got something to show to the customer.

Thanks

Puneet.

jwdoherty
Level 1
Level 1

I've directly asked Cisco what's the difference between the platforms and initially received "the 6500 is a LAN platform and the 7600 is a WAN platform". But if you press them, they will admit they are pretty much the same box, however they also said they do intend to make them more different, as an example the recent separation in IOS trains. (This seems to agree with much what the other posters have noted.)

As to your question of suggesting a 6500, if everything looks "LAN" like, perhaps it's more suitable than a 7600. If the "WAN Ethernet" connections will need "WAN" features, then the 7600 might be more suitable (not sure there are many vs. 6500, at least today). Besides difference is software features (if any important to you), the biggest issue is likely what line cards you want to place in the chassis.

PS:

Just wondering, since you mentioned sup32, and "WAN Ethernet", are there features needed from the 6500/7600 chassis or might a lesser WAN or LAN platform do the job?

Thank you very much for the presise answer.

Just wondering whether 7600 would be more costly then 6500 with the same cards/sup etc.

Thanks again,

Puneet.

I would think they would be comparable in price, but don't hold me to that. If you have a Cisco sales rep or retailer you work with, they should be able to quote some prices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco