Cat 6509 Clock Fail

Answered Question
Aug 20th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi All,

Ive noticed a Clock B fail on one of my Cat6500's, one is still operating but not sure if this is a major issue or not, nor how to fix it... Anything clock wise with cisco relates to DCE/DTE stuff. Any help appreciated, heres an output from show env...

>

sh env

Environmental Status (. = Pass, F = Fail, U = Unknown, N = Not Present)

PS1: . PS2: . PS1 Fan: . PS2 Fan: .

Chassis-Ser-EEPROM: . Fan: .

Clock(A/B): A Clock A: . Clock B: F

VTT1: . VTT2: . VTT3: .

Thanks in advance.

AJ

Correct Answer by ankbhasi about 9 years 9 months ago

Hi Andrew,

The modules do not fail on a regular basis, so the chances of both modules failing in the same switch are extremely rare. I have never seen two clock modules fail in the same switch.

But with no clock backup to take over, the switch would not be able to communicate with its modules, or transmit data on the backplane. The clock is responsible for ensuring all linecards in the chassis remain synchronized to each other. If both clock modules fail, this will cause all linecards in the chassis to stop sending traffic.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
andrewjames1982 Mon, 08/20/2007 - 07:02
User Badges:

Thanks very much for the link. I assume the switch is unusable should both modules fail?

Correct Answer
ankbhasi Mon, 08/20/2007 - 09:22
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Andrew,

The modules do not fail on a regular basis, so the chances of both modules failing in the same switch are extremely rare. I have never seen two clock modules fail in the same switch.

But with no clock backup to take over, the switch would not be able to communicate with its modules, or transmit data on the backplane. The clock is responsible for ensuring all linecards in the chassis remain synchronized to each other. If both clock modules fail, this will cause all linecards in the chassis to stop sending traffic.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Actions

This Discussion