Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6509 Clock Fail

andrewjames1982
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Ive noticed a Clock B fail on one of my Cat6500's, one is still operating but not sure if this is a major issue or not, nor how to fix it... Anything clock wise with cisco relates to DCE/DTE stuff. Any help appreciated, heres an output from show env...

>

sh env

Environmental Status (. = Pass, F = Fail, U = Unknown, N = Not Present)

PS1: . PS2: . PS1 Fan: . PS2 Fan: .

Chassis-Ser-EEPROM: . Fan: .

Clock(A/B): A Clock A: . Clock B: F

VTT1: . VTT2: . VTT3: .

Thanks in advance.

AJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Andrew,

The modules do not fail on a regular basis, so the chances of both modules failing in the same switch are extremely rare. I have never seen two clock modules fail in the same switch.

But with no clock backup to take over, the switch would not be able to communicate with its modules, or transmit data on the backplane. The clock is responsible for ensuring all linecards in the chassis remain synchronized to each other. If both clock modules fail, this will cause all linecards in the chassis to stop sending traffic.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andrew,

Your clock module has failed so get it replaced. Please find this link which will help you how to replace the clock module.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_module_installation_guide09186a0080116102.html#wp28321

HTH

Ankur

Thanks very much for the link. I assume the switch is unusable should both modules fail?

Hi Andrew,

The modules do not fail on a regular basis, so the chances of both modules failing in the same switch are extremely rare. I have never seen two clock modules fail in the same switch.

But with no clock backup to take over, the switch would not be able to communicate with its modules, or transmit data on the backplane. The clock is responsible for ensuring all linecards in the chassis remain synchronized to each other. If both clock modules fail, this will cause all linecards in the chassis to stop sending traffic.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks alot for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card