Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 switch fail over / Redundant

gummadi_sathish
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

can you plz suggest me, how to configure the 6509 switch redudant/ failover one to each other.Situatuation. two switches are placed in my Datacenter room and both are interconnected.All the servers are having 2 NIC ports ,one is connected to one switch and another is to another switch.I have one router only 3845.For maz redundant plz suggest me the senario and configuration. My requirement is when one switch goes down my serverives should not go down...through other switch should work..

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you are connecting your servers directly into the 6500's you need to

1) Connect the 2 switches with a Layer 2 etherchannel trunk.

2) Create your server vlans on the switches

3) Create the L3 interfaces for your vlans and use HSRP to have a virtual IP.

4) Set the default gateway of the servers to be the virtual IP of their relevant vlan.

5) Dual connect your 3845 to both switches.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

thanks for prompt reply, My servers are in 45/46/47/106/104 vlans with static IPs.Now the gateway is server's vlan ip only, what changes I have to change on this.

45/46/47 are local servers and 106 is for global SAN servers and 104 is for Internet connectivity.

Now configured both the switches with MHSRP,Actually this was done by the vendor, I am not finding any useful by this.He created Vlan HSRP on both the switches.

You suggested Eatherchannel for this, I think no use of that eather channel also.bcoz I am connecting the servers which are connected to one switch same servers are connected to another switch.( dual connection to servers one from one switch and another from another switch) I am connecting the trunk b/w these two switches for vlan replication only.

Routing was enabled on switch only.

Now for my internal traffic is routing at Vlan level only, If gave Virtual IP thenh one ( IP address) hop will be increased, that should not be happen.

can you plz give me the routing process when I gave the server gateway as HSRP Vittual IP.

Hi Jon,

thanks for prompt reply, My servers are in 45/46/47/106/104 vlans with static IPs.Now the gateway is server's vlan ip only, what changes I have to change on this.

45/46/47 are local servers and 106 is for global SAN servers and 104 is for Internet connectivity.

Now configured both the switches with MHSRP,Actually this was done by the vendor, I am not finding any useful by this.He created Vlan HSRP on both the switches.

You suggested Eatherchannel for this, I think no use of that eather channel also.bcoz I am connecting the servers which are connected to one switch same servers are connected to another switch.( dual connection to servers one from one switch and another from another switch) I am connecting the trunk b/w these two switches for vlan replication only.

Routing was enabled on switch only.

Now for my internal traffic is routing at Vlan level only, If I gave Virtual IP then one ( IP address) hop will be increased or not and my internal traffic should not go to router.for that what changes I have to do.

can you plz give me the routing process when I gave the server gateway as HSRP Vittual IP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card