CCNA/CCDA Dual Cert Boot Camp

Unanswered Question
Aug 20th, 2007

Hello All,

I'm looking into CCNA camps to take the next step in my career and found this dual cert boot camp. http://www.netwind.com/html/ccna_boot_camp.html

Has anyone heard of/worked with this company before? If so, what was your experience?

Background: I've been in IT for about 6 years now doing a little of everything: web dev, Windows server, Exchange, Cisco VoIP. I've taken a few basic Cisco classes (CallManager, Basic Switching and Routing, Basic PIX). I'm currently at a dead end in terms of advancement at my current job. I'm also one class away from completing my BS in IT.

Any advice/warnings are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Brian

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
brianslingerland Tue, 08/21/2007 - 07:17

srue, thanks for the info, I appreciate it. A couple more questions, if you don't mind:

1)What is the real value of attending with a certified learning partner? Is anything else less than sufficient or would the cert be of less value?

2)Does the dual cert make sense (in your opinion) or should one concentrate on CCNA alone?

I'm just curious and trying to gather as much info as possible. Until your post, I hadn't even noticed the learning partner issue.

Thanks again for your time,

-Brian

srue Tue, 08/21/2007 - 08:58

Your experience will dictate if you can handle the CCNA/CCDA both in 7 days. As for which one is more 'valuable' in the end, really depends on how much effort you put into it. Other things outside of your control include the quality of the instructors and the amount of time you spend doing labs in each learning environment. Those are probably the two most important. Ask questions like: is the equipment shared, what models, what IOS versions, etc etc.

I would just personally feel more comfortable with going to a cisco learning partner (at least for associate level classes).

cyphur353 Fri, 09/14/2007 - 12:38

If you have the option to use GlobalKnowledge, go for it. I've taken several courses through them, always well taught.

However, I would take a course focused on the CCNA and do the CCDA on your own. CCNA requires labs, CCDA is mostly theory and if you can extrapolate theories from books, and learn while you read, the CCDA is an easy track to complete w/o a class.

This is just my opinion of course, but I hope it helps.

dracos3442 Fri, 09/14/2007 - 10:59

Brian,

I do not know if you are still looking into this boot camp, but I actually took this exact course last February. I cannot be sure if my experience would be the same as yours, but I'll fill you in on my camp.

First of all, Netwind was actually reselling seats for a boot camp that is run by Training Camp (http://www.trainingcamp.com/training/cisco/ccna_ccda/overview.aspx). Like another poster said, your experience will largely depend on your own abilities and the quality of your instructor.

My instructor was a certified CCSI, CCNP, CCSP and was working towards CCVP. He did not teach this class like it was some sort of brain dump just so you could beat the test. My instructor gave us more real-world examples and was always helpful and answered our questions. You are given three test vouchers to take any exam you want. Ideally, you would use the vouchers for CCNA INTRO, CCNA ICND and CCDA tests. My teacher recommended that we attempt the CCNA INTRO test first, and if you fail that one or the other CCNA test later you can still use your third voucher for the combined CCNA exam.

For the actual class itself, we spent the first 5 days working on CCNA. You start from day one and our classes were at least twelve hours long. We went from 09:00 - 13:00, broke for lunch, came back and worked until 17:00, broke for dinner, and then worked two more hours on reviewing the day's work. You were also expected to study in your rooms afterwards. For materials, we were provided with two CCNA Exam Prep guides (the Exam Cram and the regular, more detailed guide) and the Cisco Press CCDA Exam Cert Guide. I also received a booklet of slides that were bound and our teacher used to lecture with. For class, each student was given a laptop and sets of two students would share a lab setup consisting of two router and switches.

We had our first test at the end of Day 2. The second test was at the end of Day 5. Day 6 was spent going over material for the CCDA, and Day 7 we had a couple hours reserved for questions and review and then the third test was taken late that morning.

I passed the CCNA INTRO exam with a 914 and the CCNA ICND with a 900. I only got a 600 on the CCDA, but in all honesty I didn't study for that at all. In my opinion, this course is really a CCNA bootcamp with the CCDA added to upsell the course.

For me, this course was worth it as it allowed me a good amount of hands-on time with Cisco equipment which I didn't have access to at my job. Plus, I feel I had a very good instructor.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this information helps and good luck!

-Eric

brianslingerland Thu, 10/11/2007 - 10:12

Thanks Everyone for the input. I've also been talking to my Cisco rep and others that have attended various bootcamps. At this point, I've decided to spend some time with training materials and I'm waiting for my Sybex book. I plan to attend a CCNA bootcamp after the first of the year and depending on how that goes I might think about the CCDA.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I appreciate your opinions.

ellis_b Thu, 10/11/2007 - 20:31

If you have any questions about a CCNA/CCDA boot camp, please shoot me an email. I'd love to work with you on this.

thanks,

Brad Ellis

CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)

CCSI# 30482

CEO / President

CCBOOTCAMP - A Cisco Sponsored Organization (SO)

Email: [email protected]

Toll Free: 877-654-2243

Direct: +1-702-968-5100 = Outside the USA

FAX: +1-702-446-8012

YES! We take Cisco Learning Credits!

Training And Remote Racks: http://www.ccbootcamp.com

Routing and Switching Forums: http://www.routerie.com

Security Forums: http://www.securityie.com

Voice Forums: http://www.voiceie.com

Actions

This Discussion