NateBattle Mon, 08/20/2007 - 11:19
User Badges:

I prefer the books from Cisco Press. They seem more focused.

solstar21 Mon, 08/20/2007 - 22:10
User Badges:

I would agree. I have used Todd Lammle's CCNA Fast Pass and it has a lot of typos. In addition, if you really want to understand the topics well and prepare the right way, Wendell Odom's books for the INTRO and ICND tests are really great resources.

dpkelly31 Tue, 08/21/2007 - 18:11
User Badges:

Thanks for your replies. Seems like CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (3rd Ed.) is what I'm looking for. It has both ICND1 and ICND2 in it. I think I'll also get the CCNA Portable Command Guide (2nd Ed.) as well. BTW, when you join cisco press for free, you get free shipping. But first, I'll be stopping over at my local book store to check it out first.

solstar21 Wed, 08/22/2007 - 07:17
User Badges:

Also, if it does not have any built-in simulators, try to get access to a lab or a simulator to practice on. For me, that is when things really started to click as well as working with production routers and switches.

dpkelly31 Wed, 08/22/2007 - 19:54
User Badges:

OK here's what I dug up after alot of checking on cisco press website. It seems the recommended reading is divided into 3 categories:

1) Self Study Guides

2) Practical Studies

3) Exam Certification Series.

Under Self Study, I plan on the CCNA Portable Command Guide 2nd Edition.

Also under Self Study there is "CCNA Self Study: CCNA Prep Library (640-801) 6th Ed" which is a compilation of two other books. The description shows it's made for the new CCNA exams but 640-801 can be taken only up to 11/6/2007. This book is dated March 2004. Is there a later dated book?

Under exam certification series it seems that the CCNA Official Exam Certification Library 3rd edition is the latest and will be available Sept. 7, 2007.

Under practical studies, the CCNA Video Mentor seems useful.

solstar21 Thu, 08/23/2007 - 08:45
User Badges:

If you can get your hands on the Boson simulator, that is a good one to have as it has all the labs needed to learn all the CCNA objectives.

I have taken and passed the INTRO exam and will be taking the ICND exam next week. For the INTRO, I studied the Cisco Press book from Wendell Odom and went through Thompson NetG's online curriculum which I had access via a previous contract job. I only used the built-in simulator provided from Wendell's book to learn the fundamentals.

For the ICND, I went through the CCNA Fast Pass book which, of course, had some typing errors in it. I did the Thompson NetG online training. I also used the Boson sim to really learn more on the routers and switches. Finally, I will be going through Transcender's practice exams which are really good and provide explanations for the correct and incorrect answers.

If I was you, I would definitely get the training for the 640-802 exam so you will not be on that time crunch to get the testing done by November. Also, for me, it worked well to do some reading and then some simulation and then go back and forth. It also helps to have others to collaborate with for additional resources.

At work, we have a small study group that discusses CCNA questions so we can see what everyone else thinks.

Hope this helps.

Actions

This Discussion