Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks DFM groups

platinum_jem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have been reading and reading the documentations over and over again but i still dont understand the relationships in the groups.

If i am using Ciscoworks DFM to monitor 2 devices (each with 48 ports) , how do i specify or move different ports to different groups so that i can specify different threshold parameters ?

How do i check which group does that individual ports belongs to ? What if i have conflicting rules in 2 groups ?

It seems very confusing to me .

Appreciate any assistance. Thanks all.

Regards,

Sam

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To group ports together, you will need to modify one of the pre-existing user-defined groups under DFM > Configuration > Other Configurations > Group Administration. In this case, you will probably want to modify a Customizable Group. Once you have your group defined, then go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds, and adjust your polling parameters and thresholds for your customized group (you are able to view membership here).

Once you have your settings to your liking, select "Setting Priorities," and make sure your customized group is at the top of the list. Finally, select "Apply Changes," and apply your changes. At this point, your customized settings should be in effect for your two devices.

Hi JC,

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems like there are only 7-8 customizable group in the 'Custom Interface group'. What if i need more customisation than that ? If i have 15 interfaces who needs to have different threshold values , how do i achieve that ?

One additional thing. The utilisation threshold is in percentage. What is the percentage based on ? If i am monitoring a portchannel , i will want it to be based on 2gbps bandwidth (2 x 1gbps links).

How is that done ?

Thanks again for quick reply.

You cannot use more groups that those that are pre-created. The utilization is calculated using the formula:

((TrafficRate * 8) / MaxSpeed * 100

Where TrafficRate is a sum or max of the ifInOctets and ifOutOctets (depending on duplex), and MaxSpeed is typically the ifSpeed of the interface in bits per second.

Oh . Thats bad though. Which means that i can't customize the threshold settings for individual ports like i wanted to .. (got a lot of ports to customise settings) ?

Why can't i create my own groups and assign them threshold values ? Is there a specific reason why the developers restrict the customisable groups to only a few ?

And

Can i manipulate the MaxSpeed in any case (instead of monitoring based on 100mbps for FE links, can i do a 2mbps monitor ?) ?

Thanks.

The number of groups is pre-set at installation, but I am unsure why they went with that approach. It may have been a limit imposed by Smarts/EMC.

You can manipulate the MaxSpeed only on certain interfaces on IOS by including the bandwidth interface configuration command.

If it is preset at installation , does that mean that if i reinstall Ciscoworks , i will have the option to specify the number of customizable groups ?

No. These are set by the application, and cannot be expanded.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: