Make IOS DHCP server respond slower

Unanswered Question
Aug 20th, 2007

Hi,

We only want the local IOS DHCP to be used if the WAN link (which has prefered DHCP servers on the other side of it) is dead.

Are there any config. options with "ip helper" or the IOS DHCP server to enable it to be used with least preference.

Regards, MH

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Richard Burts Mon, 08/20/2007 - 18:15

MH

I am not aware of any configuration option that will slow down the response of the DHCP server if it is configured on the local IOS.

HTH

Rick

MUHAMMAD SHAHEEN Tue, 08/21/2007 - 00:37

Hi,

I agree with Rick, I don't think there is any automatic way to do this kind of thing. I have been using a different method which works perfect for me, but this involves manual intervention.

You may wish to use this too. This is how I do it....

Configure IOS DHCP and then exclude all addresses from the scope. So your dhcp is fully configured but unable to issue the IP addresses as no address is available. While your prefered DHCP servers will be serving the DHCP requests.

If ever there is a problem, you need to manually change the config and include the available IP addresses in each scope. It works for me fine as I am not responsible for Wintel servers but I am responsible for Cisco kit only. It also allows be to quickly pinpoint the kind of problem. But it may be different case for you.

HTH

Shaheen

Actions

This Discussion