gigastack 2950G

Unanswered Question
Aug 20th, 2007
User Badges:

Hello experts,

I am having a real curly problem here. Any help will be muchly appreciated. We currently are using gigastack gbics in our wiring closets. We are not clustering the switches just using the gigastack gbics for trunk connectivity to the other switches in the stack.

Now this is all fine and dandy however i want to change the mangement vlan that is in use in our corporate network. It seems when i change the management vlan to anything but vlan 1 some switches in the stack are not reachable via the new address!

The only way i can get communication to these switches is by clustering them and using rcommand to get access through the cluster commander. This causes problems for us because we have network management software that relies on the ability to reach each individual switch with a unique IP address.

Please tell me someone out there has experienced this problem before.

Thanks!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
paulkeestra Tue, 08/21/2007 - 03:30
User Badges:

Hello,

are you using VTP? Are all VLAN's defined on the switches?

AaronRiemer Tue, 08/21/2007 - 17:00
User Badges:

Hi Paul,

Yep all are in the VTP domain and all VLANS are defined. All VLAN's are allowed over the trunks as well.

I actually have resolved this problem and it seems it was a spanning-tree issue. I set the root bridge with priority at one of our distribution switches and i would of thought this would of negotiated the new spanning-tree automatically. I had to disconnect the trunk links to the access layer switches in question and reconnect them. Once i did this connectivity resumed.

I do not understand why i had to disconnect the links for spanning-tree to converge properly as this should of happened automatically.

Any thoughts?

Actions

This Discussion