Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks DFM to monitor port channels

platinum_jem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can Ciscoworks DFM monitor port channels ?

I try to use the rules to bring port channels into a membership group, but looks like there is no port channel interface at all.

I read the documents, it mentioned that as long as IFIndex shows the interface, it will be in the DFM. But i still cant see it.

Please assist.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sam

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Look under the Detailed Device View in DFM for this device. If you see the port channel listed there, note the port's interface name. You can use this value in the customized trunk/access port group when matching on name. For example:

TrunkPort.Name equals "PORT-..."

Hi JC,

This is strange. I've went to the Detailed Device View and checked both the 'Interface' and the 'Port' , none of them mentioned Port-Channel.

All i see are Physical gigabit ports and vlans/loopbacks.

Even if i specify trunkport.Name equals "*" , all i see are VTP trunking ports, nothing else.

Regards,

Sam

If i do a 'Detailed Device Report' instead of a view (i can't remember where i generated this) , then i will see all the interfaces , including port channel.

It says something like Interface index 104 , interface names Port-Channel 1 , Type propVirtual etc.

Regards,

Sam

If you do not see the channel interface in DDV, then DFM will not be able to monitor it. I did some checking, and DFM will not treat the portchannels as a single interface. Instead, you will need to monitor each member interface separately.

Appreciate if you can forward some links or documents for reference. I'm interested in reading up from your sources.

Thanks very much !

The information came from past developer responses on other service requests. The result was the one should configure thresholds on portchannel members.

Normally how are port channels being monitored then ?

There are unequal load balancing occurring between 2 x 1gbps links configured in the port channel.

If i monitor them individually at 1gbps maxspeed each , there may be false positives high utilisation alerts (eg. 90% on Link A but only 5% on Link B , high utilisation alert will be generated for Link A) .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: