cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot connect to cisco pix

nayenflies
Level 1
Level 1

My company has recently boughta cisco pix 506e. for an SBS 2003 server. I followed the

procedure as written in the documentation. But I am still not getting any access to the

firewall.I have taken the following steps. Please correct me if I have made any wrong

move:

1. I powered it on.

2. I connected my ethernet 1 port to my appropriate NIC port using an ethernet cable.

3. I opened my local area connection, opened TCP/IP properties and enabled DHCP (selected

both "obtain an ip address automatically" amd "obtain DNS server address automatically"

radio buttons)

According to the documentation provided in the CD, following these 3 steps is supposed to

establish a connection and iI should be able to use internet browser to access the firewall

using its default Ip address.

But the local area connection shows that "the network connection is unplugged". The "link"

and "act" lights beside ethernet 1 port are off. So there is not activity.

I am in a fix here. How do I setup the connection to the pix firewall?

P:S: I have not yet tried the alternative method (using console). I brought the firewall to

my home to test it out with my home pc but yielded no result. Plus my home pc does not have

the com port So there is not way to check out the alternative method either.

I have very little experience with networking. So please be easy on your anwser!

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

zulqar

At this point I believe that your main problem is your cable. To connect a PC directly to the port of the PIX should be a crossover cable and I believe that you are using a straight through cable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue, using the ethernet crossover cable supplied with the PIX. No ACT or LINK light on the rear panel, but the ACT light on the front is lit.

The NIC on the pc end is fine, tested, and functioning normally at 10/100/1000.

I can get command-line interface access using the console port, but really need to access the pdm.

Any ideas? This is a replacement device to replace a faulty existing PIX, so i really hope this one isn't faulty too!

Cheers.

Tom

Is this a replacement shipped from Cisco or is it from somewhere else? I am wondering if it is a fresh box or whether it might have an existing config on it? If you have command line access through the console port it would be helpful to know what is in the config. Also the output of show interface might be helpful.

Another thought is that if you have command line access that you might go ahead and configure an IP address on an interface, configure an address in the same subnet on your PC, connect the PC to the interface (using a cross over cable), and open your browser using the address configured on the PIX interface. If you do that what happens?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card