cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple default gateways for failover\redundancy

p.choi
Level 1
Level 1

Currently I have 1 defualt gateway that I route all my LAN traffic to the Internet.

Can I have a second one for failover\redundancy? How would the configuration work on my LAN machines ? Is it just a case of adding a second gateway on my devices' TCP\IP config ?

Thnx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ping

Yes to minimize the impact on users and prevent interruption it would be wise to use the existing address of the router as the shared address and to assign new addresses to the router interfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

thomas.anthony
Level 1
Level 1

You can?t have 2 GW configured on the PC, you will have to do redundancy at L3, what is the GW device you have is that Cisco Router / switch

The GW is a Cisco 2800 series router. How would I enable redundancy at L3 ?

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ping

I am not clear from your post quite what it is that you are attempting to accomplish. Is it a second gateway from the perspective of the PCs in your network (having a redundant router to establish connectivity if the primary router were to fail) or is it a second gateway for the router to use to have a redundant path to the outside?

If it is a second gateway for the PCs there is a simple answer: put the second router into the network and configure HSRP between the routers. With HSRP each router has its own physical interface address in the subnet and there is a shared address (or virtual address) that either router can use. You configure the PCs gateway address to be the shared HSRP address. In operation one of the routers becomes primary and uses the shared address and all the PCs send their traffic to the primary router. But if there is a problem with the primary router the standby router becomes active, takes over the shared address. This is quite transparent to the PCs. The PCs are still sending traffic to the same gateway address but now it happens to be on the second router rather than the first.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

thanks for the reply. With HSRP, I assume I would have to use the existing router's external interface ip address as the shared virtual address- if I wanted to minimize interruption to my users.

Ping

Yes to minimize the impact on users and prevent interruption it would be wise to use the existing address of the router as the shared address and to assign new addresses to the router interfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thomas.anthony
Level 1
Level 1

When you said another GW is that you mean you have another router? If yes you many need to Run HSRP and use the VIP as the GW in the PC, if you have one router connecting to ISP and LAN it?s a single point of failur,

please provide the topology details for better solution

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card