Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Get a busy tone sometimes on the Messages button

My customer has three problems with their Unity: a busy signal periodically when hitting the Messages button; when people call in from the outside, they get the Call Handler and enter an extension but they get a "you have entered an invalid number" error. Third symptom is when the subscribers receive a call, sometimes the phone will show the caller ID of a Unity port, i.e. 1900, then when they pick up the phone to answer the call, it will show the correct caller ID. Whenever they try a second or thrid time, things will work properly. The problems seem to be getting more frequent. There are a lot of MIU errors in the Event Viewer logs but they have been occuring for more than 4 months months; the customer said these problems started about a month or so ago. I checked the logs on the CallManagers and there is nothing in them. All the Unity ports are registered to the CallManager. A Port Utilization report shows that the ports are not heavily utilized. I stopped and started the Unity service. Nothing seemed to work. What else can I look at for these particular problems? Also, which traces can I turn on to try to catch a problem? Are there any known issues involving these problems with this version of Unity? Could all these things be related? I have turned on the MIU traces to try ot "catch" something. Thanks for any help.

Unity 4.04 SR1

3 Replies 3

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

You didn't mention which version of CallManager you are running or if you have the most update Unity_TSP version for your Unity-CallManager integration. I would be sure to check that. How many ports do you have enabled for Answer - default ratio is 75% of your ports should be answer. The busy signal signifies all ports in use. If your CCM server is running 4.X, you are using Unity hunt list and line group for voicemail ports. Confirming you have the most current TSP version, I have seen occasions where we needed to reset the Hunt list on CallManager for your Unity ports (caution - do this during off-hours as it will disrupt service). Some of the behavior you are seeing sounds OK to me, for example:

- Callers reaching the Opening greeting call handler are allowed to dial an extension at any time, and prompted to do so, but the extension must be a valid Unity subscriber on that server or another Unity server if you are using digital networking. Using the directory would be a better way to go and callers could spell by name or switch to extension if so desired.

- When callers reach the Opening Greeting call handler and do dial an extension of a valid Unity subscriber, Unity performs a transfer to that extension. The incoming call shows the number of the Unity port that is transferring the call.

Lastly, if these problems occurred about one month ago and nothing has changed on Unity, check to see if CallManager was upgraded or an OS update performed. If that is the case, you definitely want to check the TSP version and consider upgrading TSP on your Unity server.

Ginger

Thanks for the info. The CM version is 4.1.3 sr3b, TSP is 7.0.2. The extension dialed, after people reach the opening greeting is valid. After several tries, they get through.There are several CM clusters with 3 Unity servers. Only one Unity has these problems. I'll have to check if there was any maintenance done on CM. What version of TSP do you recommend, the latest, 8.2.1? Thanks again.

Hi -

Here's the compatibility chart - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/compatibility/matrix/cutspmtx.html#wp51076

Says 8.2.1 valid for Unity 4.0(4) - although I didn't see release notes available. The latest release notes on the Unity voice downloads page says 8.1(2). As always, I would advocate Unity DiRT backup, Veritas backup or NetBackup, whichever you use, plus break the mirror set any time I touch a Unity server (just in case). If you have a test CCM/Unity, I would test it there first of course.

Sincerely, Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: