cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Server sizing for LMS 3.0

sfenderson
Level 1
Level 1

The LMS 3.0 install guide doesn't list any specific CPU speed requirements. It just says 2 CPU's. It does list RAM and disk requirements however. The LMS 3.0 data sheet does list specific CPU speeds. For example for the 1500 device version it says "2 Intel Xeon CPU at 3.66 GHz". Does this mean 1 dual-core Xeon, or 2 dual-core Xeon? Is this a hard requirement? Can I install the 1500 device version on a 3.0 GHz Xeon and manage 900 devices with adaquate performance?

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CPU is a hard requirement as is RAM and disk space. When it says two CPUs are required, it means two physical cores. That is, you can either have two separate CPUs, or one dual-core CPU. HyperThreading does not count as a real core even though the OS indicates the machine has multiple CPUs.

So will the install fail if I try to install on a server with a dual-core Xeon running at 3.0 or 3.2 GHz? I will be managing about 800 devices.

The installation will not fail, but performance will be unacceptable. CPU becomes more of a limiting factor given the number of applications on the same server more than the total managed device count. Managed devices does come into play, but when you install the entire LMS bundle on a single server, you have more threads competing for CPU time. You really need a dual-core/CPU machine for a solution server. TAC will also not support you unless you meet the minimum requirements.

What about a 4-core machine with 4 3.2GHz porcessors? This is more capacity that a dual-core 3.66Ghz. Does this meet the requirements?

Thanks

CPU-wise, absolutely. I read that as 16 physical cores. As long as you have the memory and disk to back that up, you should be more than okay.

Actually I was considering a server with two dual-core 3.2Ghz Xeon processors. So its a total of 4 execution units at 3.2Ghz each. If I use this will TAC give me a problem with support?

So what do you think? Is having two dual-core 3.2Ghz Xeon's ok for running the 1500 device version of LMS 3.0? I would be running all components on a single server.

This will be fine provided the memory and disk are there as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco