Views
Helpful
Replies

CSRadius service will not start

johannf
Level 1
Level 1

ACS 4.0 and Windows 2003 server.

The CSRadius service will not start automaticly, and after a reboot we have to start the service manually.

The evenlogs says this:

EventID:7000 Source: Service Control Manager.

The Open Procedure for service "CSRadius" in DLL "C:\Program Files\CiscoSecure ACS v4.0\bin\rad_mon.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The Status code returned is the first DWORD in the attached data.

And then this one:

"The CSRadius service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. "

Any suggestions ?

JF

3 Replies 3

rochopra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure that you are not using multiprocessor/hyperthreading on the machine.

Also you do no have SP2 R2 of win 2003 installed, these are not supported environment.

Also remove the logs from following folder

/CSRadius/Logs.

Then restart the service

~Rohit

Our Cisco ACS on Windows 2003 server has been online for more than 9 years (!), but we recently decided to convert it to virtual, so we noticed this problem/bug: CSRadius and CSTacacs services failed to start automatically after reboot.

My solution does not require anything from TAC. I just told Windows not to start these services immediately when it boots but start them a few minutes later. In detail:

• From services.msc I changed these services from "Automatic" to "Manual"
  • Created a bat file with the following commands (in bold):

timeout /t 300      ===> Waits for 300 seconds - it is crucial, otherwise you may still have the same problem

net start CSRadius

timeout /t 10      ===> Waits for 10 seconds - may not be necessary, but just to be safe

net start CSTacacs

• Created a scheduled job that runs the bat file every time the server starts

I hope this helps any other "old-timers" like me run into the same problem :)

Premdeep Banga
Level 7
Level 7

Please read details about this bug,

If services start successfully manually, but not automatically.

CSCsb81671 : CSTacacs and CSRadius services fail to start with Windows 2003

Workaround is to get a file from TAC, and apply it on ACS.

Regards,

Prem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: