Views
Helpful
Replies

CM 4.2(3) SIP trunk to VoIP provider

opers13
Level 1
Level 1

guys,

anyone please give input on this config. my voip isp has given me the following info:

Username: xxxxx

Pwd: xxxxxx

SIP Registrar: xxxxx

SIP Domain: xxxxxx

to setup a sip trunk to them..but I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Again, I have CM 4.2(3) and cisco ip phones.

thank you

opers13

11 Replies 11

opers13
Level 1
Level 1

I think, I need to create a SIP trunk security profile..but I don't see this option in CM4.2(3)

opers13,

Who is your SIP provider? Recently I found myself with the same trouble and found a work around.

First, the SIP trunk in CM won't support authentication. My limited research into the issue yielded that I would have to create a SIP dial peer on the gateway and forward the traffic from my cluster to it via the trunk. The dial peer would handle authentication but it seems that the authentication option is dependant on the version of IOS you are running.

The way I worked around this limitation was to find a provider that doesn't not require a password but allows me to specify the public IP address that traffic can be sent from.

-Shikamaru

the SIP provider is actually a company I used to work at...anyway. Do you know which IOS version supports authentication?

That I don't know (I posted the question here a while back but couldn't get an answer.) I'm using the most recent IOS I could find for a 2610 gateway, so no surprise that it wasn't recent enough :( I would start by looking up some documentation on SIP dial peer authentication, the documentation will likely mention the required IOS version.

-Shikamaru

is this for your voip lab?

Yes.

-Shikamaru

haha..same here! Trying to get into voip...so what's the name of the SIP provider you found?

you also using CM4.2(3)?...Tell me about your lab and things you are doing...

tx

The SIP provider is les.net. The nice thing about them is that you pay as you go, so if by chance you happen to be a victim of toll fraud you can limit the damages. I usually pay-pal 10 or 20 dollars to them, it lasts for a while. Perfomance is spotty, I live on the west coast in the States and they're in Winnepeg, CA, so I hear crackling (which, according to them, they never get complaints about.) For lab purposes, they're ideal.

-Shikamaru

so you have CM4.x, gateway and IP phones?

Yes.

-Shikamaru

is this the IOS gateway SIP feature you were taking about?

SIP - Gateway HTTP Authentication Digest Gateway Authentication and Registation for SIP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: