cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning tree

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi! how do i change the native vlan of a switch? The reason is that when i'm trying on spanning tree by connecting 3 switches(2 links in between each switch) together one of the switch prompted that native vlan mismatch.

Anohter question is that, if the default bridge priority 32768 are used for all the 3 switches. Will the non root bridge's priory becomes 32769? That's what i see when i run the command show spanning-tree, not sure why is that so. Pls advise. Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

On IOS

switchconfig-if)# switchport trunk native vlan "vlan number"

If all bridge priorities are equal then the mac-address will be used to decide the root bridge. Unless you explicitly change the priority then it will not dynamically change to 32769 if it is not the root bridge.

I suspect you are looking at vlan 1 when you see a priority of 32769. This the extended system-id and you add the vlan number to the default spanning-tree priority. So vlan 10 would have a priority of 32778.

Hope this helps

Jon

When you say you have "2 links between each switch," I am assuming that you are creating an etherchannel and binding the 2 physical links into one logical channel.

If that is so, all ports that will be part of the etherchannel must have the same:

1. Speed and duplex settings.

2. Native vlan setting.

3. Must all be in the same vlan if the ports are access ports. If its a trunk, all must be configured to carry the same vlans.

3. The native vlan must be the same on all ports, too.

Follow Jon's instruction to change the native vlan setting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card