Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9216i Configuration assistance required

kamal.kannan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I need help in configuring the Cisco MDS 9216i.

I have assigined the following ip's to the Gigaport ports Production Site 9.184.65.14 and DR site 9.182.193.23 .

I am not able to ping the production site from DR and viceversa. But iam able ping to the other servers in the same subnet.

I have checked the cables etc everything is fine ..If I connect the same cable to windows machine Iam able to ping to the windows machine ..So it looks like the network part is ok.

My question here

1. Can we have ipaddress of different subnet for GE interface

2. Why i am not able to ping to the GE ports

5 Replies 5

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You probably do not have routes out the gig ports to the other side. If you do a show ip route, you probably just have the default route pointing out the mgmt interface and this is for mgmt only. You need something like this:

ip route 9.182.193.0 255.255.255.0 9.184.65.1 or whatever the ip default gateway on that subnet is. Then the equivalent on the other side.

groutley
Level 1
Level 1

Kamal,

If defining the gateway addresses does not resolve, please collect sh tech details from each switch, and get your ITS guys to open a PMR. They will send the problem to support, where I can review your sh techs.

Hi all,

Routing is already in place..I am able to ping to the devices in the same subnet..

You will always be able to ping within the same subnet even without routing. Routing specifies how to get off that subnet and get to the other side. So, if you do the show ip route, what is the route to the other side of the FCIP tunnel? The traffic cannot flow out the mgmt interface. Please post the results from show ip route and a traceroute from one side to the other side's IP.

I am sorry, I didn't explain it properly, What I meant was! from Production site MDS I am able to ping to the other devices in the DR site(which is the same subnet of DR GE) except the MDS Gigabit Eth ..and viceversa

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: