cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with 802.1x with Guest VLAN

mugglecco
Level 1
Level 1

I'm implementing 802.1x in company network by authentication user with company's AD.

The problem is my user already shutdow the PC in every evening but their LAN card still active. This cause the switch to understand that the port is already active but no authentication information on this port.

Finally the switch decided to put Guest VLAN on this port. On next morning when the user come to the office and power on their PC, the switch port still in Guest VLAN. User will not access to Staff VLAN until they disable/enable their LAN interface.

Please help ...

5 Replies 5

Hi,

Maybe a solution can be disabling, if enabled, the "Wake on LAN" from BIOS on PC.

Wake on LAN is a technology that permit to power on a computer over a network connection.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Massimiliano.

Thanks for reply.

I'm already disable WOL from BIOS since the begining.

It's hopeless. The LAN card still activate while the PC is shutdown.

dal
Level 3
Level 3

Maybe reauthentication is the answer.

dot1x reauthentication

dot1x timeout reauth-period

Hope this helps!

Reauthentication is not work when the port is assign to the guest VLAN.

As far as my knowledge goes, The OS - windows while booting, Disables the LAN card & enables it. So the Ports starts authenticating when the Logging prompt happens.

So we never face this problem. Can you check this, boot the OS & see if the Network card lights goes & comes back.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco