cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

change the ip address

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 routers connected with serial leased line. They are too far away each other. How can i change the ip addresses on both routers (network wan link) without going to that place and change it with the console but with telnet and do not loose connectivity.

Thanks

moses

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

If i were you i'd change the IP address of the remote router first, then i'd change the local router IP, and i would use reload in command on the remote router as a backup (and please don't forget to do a reload cancel after successfully done to cancel the scheduled reload).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

krishnakomiti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If u have one leased line connection, with out breaking is not possible. But without going to remote place, first telnet to the remote router and change IP address in serial interface connection will break for seconds of time and immediately enter into the local router change the IP address. Once u change the IP address link will come up and u can check, ping to remote location.

i tried to use subinterfaces on serial. Create a subint with the ip i want on the remote router. Then i change the ip of the serial of the other router. It was ok. But when i removed the ip address of serial (not subint) of the remote router i losed connection.

Thanks

moses

Hi Moses ,

then create same kind of setup at your end ...

Thanks,

satish

Hi,

The ability to use subinterfaces depends on the layer 2 encapsulation you are using, PPP can't have subinterfaces, while you can do so via FR (but you'll need your provider to provision the PVC for you).

If you can reload the remote router (have someone to reload it for you) and then do as i've said in the early post.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

i am using leased lines encapsulation HDLC

Thanks

moses

thomas.anthony
Level 1
Level 1

I would say dial in to remote router?s Auxiliary port and do the configuration .Make sure you have the Modem Connected to Auxiliary port and Auxiliary port has been configured

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card