cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many access points does a WLC 2006 support?

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I'm under the impression that each 2006 controller can only support up to 6 access points. Can someone confirm this for me? I'm unable to find documentation on this device through cisco as the 2000 controllers are EoS/EoL now..

Reason I ask is, the only documents I found that relate to that were the WLC 4.1 controller config guides, and they say the max supported for 2000 controllers is 6... yet I have one running now that has 7 associated with it. All 7 are valid APs.

It's confusing, so I would like a bit of clarification with what's going on.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wired APs count as 1 AP, non-RAP mesh APs count as 0.5. The 2006 supports 6 APs, but 12 APs will be allowed to join to support failover/redundancy.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Thanks, it's as I thought..

.. any idea why a 7th is able to register though? We originally had two controllers managing 7 AP's but one of the controllers is having trouble, so all 7 are associating with the first one.

If it helps, all 7 AP's are mesh 1510's, two of them are Root APs.

i believe the mesh ap's only count as a 1/2 ap and root counts as a whole. I just can't find a reference.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeff,

My understanding of this is that only "wired" AP's are counted against the over-all total.Thus you have not exceeded the maximum number of 6 supported AP's.

Hope this helps and things are good in Winnepeg!

Rob

Wired APs count as 1 AP, non-RAP mesh APs count as 0.5. The 2006 supports 6 APs, but 12 APs will be allowed to join to support failover/redundancy.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for clearing up this question for everyone :) 5 points for your good work here!

Take care,

Rob

Thanks.

I wish that kind of stuff was better documented (If it is, I certainly didn't see it anywhere!).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: