cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many access points does a WLC 2006 support?

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I'm under the impression that each 2006 controller can only support up to 6 access points. Can someone confirm this for me? I'm unable to find documentation on this device through cisco as the 2000 controllers are EoS/EoL now..

Reason I ask is, the only documents I found that relate to that were the WLC 4.1 controller config guides, and they say the max supported for 2000 controllers is 6... yet I have one running now that has 7 associated with it. All 7 are valid APs.

It's confusing, so I would like a bit of clarification with what's going on.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wired APs count as 1 AP, non-RAP mesh APs count as 0.5. The 2006 supports 6 APs, but 12 APs will be allowed to join to support failover/redundancy.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Thanks, it's as I thought..

.. any idea why a 7th is able to register though? We originally had two controllers managing 7 AP's but one of the controllers is having trouble, so all 7 are associating with the first one.

If it helps, all 7 AP's are mesh 1510's, two of them are Root APs.

i believe the mesh ap's only count as a 1/2 ap and root counts as a whole. I just can't find a reference.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeff,

My understanding of this is that only "wired" AP's are counted against the over-all total.Thus you have not exceeded the maximum number of 6 supported AP's.

Hope this helps and things are good in Winnepeg!

Rob

Wired APs count as 1 AP, non-RAP mesh APs count as 0.5. The 2006 supports 6 APs, but 12 APs will be allowed to join to support failover/redundancy.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for clearing up this question for everyone :) 5 points for your good work here!

Take care,

Rob

Thanks.

I wish that kind of stuff was better documented (If it is, I certainly didn't see it anywhere!).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card