Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP Bandwidth requiremnets. WIC-T1 or HSSI card

cisco14
Level 1
Level 1

Hi NetPro's

I am working on a project where we are going to start a community ISP for our local community. Know my challenge is on how much bandwidth we will need from our transit providers and what hardare bests suits an ISP which is starting.

I havetwo options.

1) We are apparently have a WIC-T1 card installed in our Core Internet Router and the limitation we have from what i have read about this card is we can only pull 2MB uplink and 2MB downlink. we have local customers who will need more bandwidth and know i feel the WIC-T1 card is not sufficient since cant upgrade for more bandwidth.

2) I was adviced to try an HSSI card since it can burst to more than 40MB uplink and downlink.

Please advice on which is the best Wan Interface Card (WIC) card to use for a startup ISP that plans to consume more than 20 MB of bandwidth up and downlink.

Or Core internet Router is a cisco 2821 router apprently.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

why cant think off going on for a ethernet drop instead of looking around for legacy serial interfaces.

On ethernet you have the luxury of scaling up whenever you require to do so without upgrading or installing new cards...

regds

Hi thanks for the reply and suggestion BUT how can i do that.Any links on how to deal with such a setting.

Besides the modem that was supplied by our upstream provider used serial interface of DB-54 and i think the ethernet port on it is for management,so how can i also deal with that.

thanks.

I think spremkumar probably refers to considering a solution like metroethernet to deliver an ethernet drop to your premises.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: