Level 1
Level 1

Can I do these things

1) Setup TACACS+ Server on a router?

2) Setup RADIUS Server on a router?

3) Setup NTP server on a router?

4) Setup Syslog server on a router?

5) Setup SNMP server on a router?

I just need a yes or no answer to all of the above.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Paul

If I take your questions literally then these would be the answers:

1) no you can not set up a router as a TACACS+ server. The router can be a TACACS client but not a server.

2) no you can not set up a router as a RADIUS server. The router can be a RADIUS client but not a server.

3) Yes you can set up a router as an NTP server. To function effectively the router must learn NTP time from some source with reliable authoritative time information. The router can then act as a server for other devices.

4) No you can not set up a router as a syslog server. The router can send syslog to a server but is not a server itself.

5) No you can not set up a router as an SNMP server. The router can send SNMP to a server but is not a server itself.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Technically, the router is the SNMP server. The router is the agent, and the host is the client. A router can send notifications (e.g. traps) to a host manager, but the majority of the traffic flows from manager to agent. IOS can also be made into an SNMP manager (i.e. client) by configuring "snmp-server manager".

I thought in most cases a router would be a SNMP client.

I had no idea you could configure a router as an agent, but that is good news, I want to try the snmp-server manager command. Not sure how to poll the clients now, but maybe someone else could help with this.

In SNMP, the agent is the server and the manager is the client. Most of the time, a router is an agent only. Once the manager is configure, the following command will allow you to poll other managers:

snmp get v1 COMMUNITY IP oid OID

For example:

snmp get v1 public 10.1.1.1 oid system.1.0

Wouldn't a router be configured as a client, with maybe a server running the SNMP agent somewhere else on the network?

So I guess you could have multiple agents without clients if you chose to do so. The agents could poll each other. This seems like it defeats the purpose of the client-agent model.

Thanks

Typically, the router is never configured as a client (manager). In fact, the snmp get command in IOS is a hidden command. The manager functionality is used by other internal subsystems of IOS (e.g. DOCSIS).

The recommended approach is to let the router be the agent, and a host (UNIX, Windows, etc.) be the manager.