Views
Helpful
Replies

ymodem, zmodem

ney25
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

anyone can tell me what is ymodem and zmodem use for ?

thanks a lot.

regards,

skywalker

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ymodem and zmodem (and xmodem) were (old) protocols used to transfer files across serial links. Normally found in terminal emulators (e.g. HyperTerminal). Dial-up bulletin board systems (BBS) used them when you wanted to download or upload files. (In days of yore, vendors often had a BBS that you could dial-up and download patches.)

On much (all?) Cisco equipment, you can also upload a software image across the console serial port using one of these.

Hi Josephdoherty,

thanks for the update, but i still dont understand if these 3 protocol are used to upload and download then what dont just come with 1 protocol like xmodem is good enough instead of ymodem then zmodem ? doesn't make sense, right ? it must be some usage between these 3 ?

regards,

skywalker

Ah, well over time various individuals made protocols that did the same thing, but did it "better" (with these "better" was usually faster and/or better error handling).

The sequence was, I believe, Xmodem, Ymodem, and the Zmodem. Some had variants with the same protocol.

Normally, when you have a choice, you chose the latest or "best" version that both sides support.

Hi Josephdoherty,

really thanks a lot, at least now i have some idea what does it use for .

thanks a lot.

regards,

skywalker

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card