CCIE written does not equal CCNP?

Unanswered Question
Aug 26th, 2007

Just wondering about the above, since it seems that nearly all of the material is covered....

If one is planning to go right for the CCIE anyway, wouldn't taking each of the CCNP tests be something of a waste of money?

Thanks,

Dan

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Pavel Bykov Sun, 08/26/2007 - 11:28

No.

If you are chasing certification, just to have a paper, even CCIE will be a waste of your time and money.

When you are getting certification, you are usually not chasing a "paper" and "wasting money". Cisco provides you with a gradual career development, therefore the Associate, Professional and Expert levels.

When studying for certification, you are learning in depth all of the concepts, whereas for CCIE most of the materials are so dense, that it is not possible to LEARN technology in detail to be able to fully implement it. CCIE materials are more for a REVIEW and pinpointing your weak spots, where you need to improve your knowledge.

For example, I have yet to see a CCIE QoS material that has enough information to enable person to understand QoS. On the contrary, Wendel Odom's QoS certification guide and official training "iQoS" enables a person to understand QoS so well, that the person can implement technology well.

You should not study for certification - you should study for yourself.

Edison Ortiz Sun, 08/26/2007 - 14:23

The CCNP certification track will build a solid foundation for future CCIE candidates. Yes, there are plenty of individuals who have taken, and after some hard work, have passed both the CCIE Written and Lab.

However, in most cases, those individuals have worked in the IT industry for a long time and have demonstrated CCNP expertise level.

I would never call 'education' or 'certification' a waste of time or money. Being faced with a challenge such as the four exams from the CCNP track, makes you a well-rounded IT person and it takes nothing away from you.

If you plan to go directly onto the CCIE track and bypass the CCNP track, good luck - but please do not try to belittle those who chose to take the CCNA and CCNP before taking a shot to the CCIE.

dan.beggs Tue, 08/28/2007 - 03:40

Whoa fellas, no need to be offended. :)

I didn't say anything about it being stupid or call anyone else that for doing both the ccnp tests as well as the ccie written.

I was just wondering in logical terms is all. Yes, the ccnp tests are worthwhile on their own to do, my question was that since the ccie written ought to cover the same material and more, wouldn't it make sense for passing that test to automatically make one a ccnp? It's not in the same league, but the novell cne program was the same way as far as automatically getting a cna goes... (shrug)

Anyways, my question was based on someone having obtained the ccna already and planning to continue right away into the ccie. I was simply thinking aloud that paying for the 4 or 5 ccnp tests followed immediately by the ccie written seems redundant.

If the ccie written also carried an immediate ccnp certification, I daresay a lot of people would be more likely to pursue that option instead.

Sorry I offended anyone, that certainly wasn't my intention.

And thanks for the feedback - it's much appreciated.

Dan

cyphur353 Tue, 08/28/2007 - 05:14

Completing the CCIE R&S does not grant you a CCNP - it grants you a CCIE #. However....

There are topics covered in the new CCNP exams(ONT and ISCW) that AFAIK are not covered in the CCIE R&S, such as MPLS configuration, DSL technologies, wireless, IDS/IPS, and IPSEC VPN technologies. Some of those aren't even on the CCIE R&S blueprints(written or lab).

If the CCIE is your end goal, then I say go for the CCIE. You've got a lot of knowledge to catch up on that you would gain from the CCNP track, but some of the CCNP track you can skip. It will save you money, but the time investment may turn out to be very similar.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do!

Edison Ortiz Tue, 08/28/2007 - 05:39

Dan,

No offense taken. I wanted to point out this can be a sore subject for some candidates who have spent time and money while pursuing their CCNP.

The 4 exams given in the CCNP track are much harder than the CCIE Written. Noticed that after passing the four CCNP exams you get a certificate while passing a CCIE Written, you get nothing ?

On the CCIE Written, there aren't simulations - those things are left for the Lab.

Having a CCNP in your resume, makes you more employable than having a CCIE Written.

Actions

This Discussion