Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Splitting

ttuisawau
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We currently have a 4Mbps lease line for our internet traffic. I currently have a Cisco 3660 and 6500 router at the core.

Is there some way that I can split the internet bandwidth up, so for example I have 1 Mbps for our LAN and 3 Mbps for everyone else on the network.

I have looked at policy's and they dont quite fit what I'm trying to do....if it is possible with my current hardware.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim.

1 Reply 1

b.speltz
Level 4
Level 4

ECLB is a feature of Catalyst switch code that allows a Catalyst switch to split flows over different physical paths. With this technology you can place multiple IPS appliances in on-a-stick mode, clustered on an EtherChannel, to split load among the sensors. This deployment results in, incremental IPS bandwidth increase for each IPS appliance you add to the ether-channel. So if you start with a single IPS appliance with a throughput of 500 megabytes (MB) and then add a second sensor with the same throughput capabilities to the EtherChannel, you will have 1 gigabyte of resulting throughput.

You should understand the following about deploying ECLB:

Although the ECLB name insinuates load balancing, it is not. It is actually load splitting. ECLB works by hashing the source and destination IP addresses of a flow to determine what physical port a flow should take when traversing the Catalyst.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: