Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Splitting

ttuisawau
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We currently have a 4Mbps lease line for our internet traffic. I currently have a Cisco 3660 and 6500 router at the core.

Is there some way that I can split the internet bandwidth up, so for example I have 1 Mbps for our LAN and 3 Mbps for everyone else on the network.

I have looked at policy's and they dont quite fit what I'm trying to do....if it is possible with my current hardware.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim.

1 Reply 1

b.speltz
Level 4
Level 4

ECLB is a feature of Catalyst switch code that allows a Catalyst switch to split flows over different physical paths. With this technology you can place multiple IPS appliances in on-a-stick mode, clustered on an EtherChannel, to split load among the sensors. This deployment results in, incremental IPS bandwidth increase for each IPS appliance you add to the ether-channel. So if you start with a single IPS appliance with a throughput of 500 megabytes (MB) and then add a second sensor with the same throughput capabilities to the EtherChannel, you will have 1 gigabyte of resulting throughput.

You should understand the following about deploying ECLB:

Although the ECLB name insinuates load balancing, it is not. It is actually load splitting. ECLB works by hashing the source and destination IP addresses of a flow to determine what physical port a flow should take when traversing the Catalyst.