cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subcribers License Options

tohoken
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering if it is possible to have Unified Message Subscribers and Unity Inbox Subscribers on the same server? We have a single Unity 4.2 server setup for Unified Messaging. That works fine for users that have an Exchange account. We have a number of users that do not have an Exchange email account but still require voicemail. Can I license both on the same server or do I need a separate server, maybe CUE, for my users that have no email account?

Thanks,

Ken

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ken,

Have a look at this thread and the answer from Christopher @ Cisco. He indicates that the 1500 user requirement has now been removed and is no longer applicable :)

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddf9dcb

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

Incase the users dont have an Exchange account, then you can create Internet Subscribers and have the VoiceMails delivered to their email address which does not have to be on the Exchange server. When you have Internet Subscribers setup, the Partner Exchange server would try to send an email with a wav file attached (VoiceMail).

Also, Internet Subscribers does not use Licenses and are free of cost.

Thanks for the reply. I thought of this route but will this force them to listen to VM through their email account or can they still access the message via a Cisco phone?

For users to be able to listen to their VoiceMails using Phone, Internet Subscriber would not work as Unity would not be able to login to the Subscriber's mailbox.

Also, with Unity and for the users to be able to access their VoiceMails using Phone, an Exchange Mailbox is a must. On Unity, you cannot have a regular subscriber without an Exchange Mailbox. You should look at Unity Connections or CUE for such requirements as they dont depend on Exchange for message store.

Hope this helps

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ken,

With Unity 4.2 you can have "mixed mode" Licenses for UM and VM users. Have a look at Option 3 below;

Why Use Mixed VM/UM Licenses?

The Cisco Unity Unified Messaging solution offers a variety of configuration options. The core architecture of Cisco Unity centers around enabling Unified Messaging in a converged environment (where voice and data systems are combined). While many organizations use the Unified Messaging capabilities of Cisco Unity, some organizations need a Voice Messaging solution in which Cisco Unity functions as a traditional voice messaging system.

The Unified Messaging and Voice Messaging configurations each require different licenses. An organization can purchase UM licenses or VM licenses for its subscribers, and Cisco Unity enables the organization to manage the licenses and control which features subscribers can use, based on those licenses.

A third option now available is to allow a mixed VM and UM license. This option allows an organization to give the Unified Messaging functionality to some of its users while allowing other users to use Cisco Unity only for Voice Messaging. Enabling this third option gives many organizations ultimate flexibility and allows them to fully adopt Unified Messaging on a schedule that fits their needs.

From this good White Paper;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a0080623fa8.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the information. I have looked at that white paper before and it sounds great until the end of the paper where it states you need to order a minimum of 1500 licenses. My orginization is much smaller than that. Thanks for the info though. I am thinking I may just need to setup a CUE device to handle the few users that are voicemail only.

Hi Ken,

You should check with your Cisco SE about this requirement. The date listed in the document is March 2006 so things may have changed since then. It's worth a try :)

Good luck!

Rob

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ken,

Have a look at this thread and the answer from Christopher @ Cisco. He indicates that the 1500 user requirement has now been removed and is no longer applicable :)

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddf9dcb

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: