cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router selection for segmenting network

lando0977
Level 1
Level 1

I have a flat network and would like to segment my newtork into 5 or 6 ???? subnetworks. I have about 150 clients and about 10 servers. Which would be an adequate router for doing this? Someone told me a 2851 could do the job???? Any ideas guys?

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you're doing pure LAN, I would recommend 3560, 3750, 3560G, 3750G, 3560-E or 3750-E depending on your port speeds and how fast a router you need.

The usual 3560/3750 base model has 10/100 Mbps ports, 24 or 48 with 2 or 4 SFP gig ports.

Those 3560G/3750G models have either 24 or 48 10/100/1000 ports with 2 or 4 SFP gig ports.

The 3560-E/3750-E models also have 24 or 48 10/100/1000 but have two module slots that can do 10 gig (or 2x1 gig) and are higher performance.

The difference between the 3560 and 3750, is the latter can "stack", i.e. acts like one device with a high speed interconnect between members.

If you only see the need for using one device's ports, chose the 3560. Use the "G" model if your going to use copper gig ports, e.g. servers are other downstream switches with gig copper uplinks. (There's also an 8 10/100 port with 10/100/1000 or SFP port model, 3560-8PC. Possibly an idea model to route between existing 10/100 switches.)

If you wanted to attach all your 160 devices into one device, you could stack 4 of the 3750 models. You can mix the various 3750 models, so you could, for example, use one "G" for your servers, and the non "G" models for clients.

Thanks for the response josephdoherty but I think you didn't get the question i was asking since all you mentioned in your response were switches. The answer I was looking for was for a router model. Like i said i have a flat network and would like to segment it into different subnets. My building has three levels with all switches on each level connecting to my server room. I am thinking of subnetting by departments and probably have the servers on thier own subnet. I would need a router to do this and in turn the reason for my question... which router would you recommend? For your info all my switches on each level connect thru fiber at 1Gbps to a fiber switch in the server room.

Dude

check and see if you can add a layer3 blade to your core layer2 switch and take it from there ...

All the "switches" I recommended can also route, even with the "basic" software image.

A 3560G with 48 and 4 SFP ports could be the "core" switch/router. Connect your downstream user switches on the gig ports and the servers directly to it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card