LMS 3.0 CiscoWorks Assistant

Unanswered Question
Aug 27th, 2007

I performed a local WIndows server upgrade from LMS 2.6 to 3.0. So far everything seems normal except for CiscoWorks Assistant.

I can launch the CiscoWorks Assistant home page from the LMS Portal page just fine, but if I try to select anything under Workflows such as Server Setup I get error message --- CWA14: "No HTTP response from ........

Either:1.The server may be down. Or2.The protocol, port number or the user credentials may be wrong."

Documentation states that this error means cannot connect to server?

Any thoughts? Perhaps the upgrade proceedure leaves somthing out that a fresh install wouldn't?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Joe Clarke Mon, 08/27/2007 - 12:31

Was your server integrated with any other CiscoWorks server when running LMS 2.6? Please post the logs under NMSROOT\objects\wfengine\program\logs. If these logs contain sensitive information, then open a TAC service request with this information.

mchiaravalle_2 Mon, 08/27/2007 - 13:01

It's a standalone server.

The only log files at the path you requested are the OPSXML.log and Datastore.log. Nothing much in those either.

Joe Clarke Mon, 08/27/2007 - 13:23

Right, Windows is a pain in this regard. Enable CWA debugging if you can under CiscoWorks Assistant > Administration > Loglevel Settings, then reproduce the error, and get the NMSROOT\log\CWA.log. The output of pdshow may also be helpful.

Joe Clarke Mon, 08/27/2007 - 15:53

According to the log, CWA is trying to make an HTTPS connection to https://MS-TATOOINE:443/cwhp/psu.swUpdate.do and it's not getting a valid reply back. I assume MS-TATOOINE is the name of your server (excellent choice, by the way), and that the CiscoWorks SSL port is 443, and that you are choosing to operate in SSL mode?

The NMSROOT\MDC\etc\regdaemon.xml file will clear up all of these questions definitively.

mchiaravalle_2 Tue, 08/28/2007 - 09:37

It brings me to the Common Services-->Software Center-->Software Updates tab, which appears to function normally.

Joe Clarke Tue, 08/28/2007 - 09:40

Please post the NMSROOT\MDC\Apache\logs\error.log and the NMSROOT\MDC\tomcat\logs\stdout.log. At what time did you last reproduce this problem?

Joe Clarke Tue, 08/28/2007 - 10:21

Is the IP address of your server What is your System Identity User?

Joe Clarke Tue, 08/28/2007 - 12:19

I still can't reproduce. Exactly when do you get this error? Please post screenshots showing exactly what you're doing.

Joe Clarke Tue, 08/28/2007 - 14:46

I was FINALLY able to reproduce this. I had to mess with my System Identity User setup to get it to happen, though. Since you said your SIU is admin, let's regenerate this from scratch.

To do this, shutdown dmgtd. Then delete NMSROOT\lib\classpath\comUser.dat. Next, run the following command as a local Administrator:

NMSROOT\bin\cwjava -cw NMSROOT com.cisco.nm.cmf.security.SecretTool NMSROOT\lib\classpath\comUser.dat -add USER PASS

For example:

C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\cwjava -cw C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx com.cisco.nm.cmf.security.SecretTool c:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\lib\classpath\comUser.dat -add admin admin

That will set the System Identity User to admin with a password of admin.

Then, check the permissions on the resulting comUser.dat to make sure casusers has Full Control.

Finally, restart dmgtd, and see if the problem persists.

mchiaravalle_2 Wed, 08/29/2007 - 08:55

Sorry, No go.

Ran the command line twice , it did exicute both times, rebooted server and tested. Exact same output.

I'm thinking I may have to reinstall LMS 3.0 from scratch.

Joe Clarke Wed, 08/29/2007 - 09:00

I just saw something in the stdout.log that caught my eye. What is PSALM101 (besides the obvious)?

mchiaravalle_2 Wed, 08/29/2007 - 09:26

I don't know. I checked that log file and it looks like a password? I don't remember using it and I'm the one who original installed LMS 2.6 and the 3.0 upgrade. I tried to login to CiscoWorks using it but it didn't authenticate.

Joe Clarke Wed, 08/29/2007 - 09:30

It is a password: your System Identity User password. Took me a while slogging through the code, but I think I've figured this out. Please send me the output of:

dir NMSROOT\lib\classpath\com\cisco\nm\cmf\servlet

Joe Clarke Wed, 08/29/2007 - 10:49

This looks good. Try this. Shutdown dmgtd, backup then delete NMSROOT\www\classpath\com\cisco\nm\cmf\security\secret.dat. Then run:

cwjava -cw NMSROOT com.cisco.nm.cmf.security.SecretTool NMSROOT\www\classpath\com\cisco\nm\cmf\security\secret.dat -add USER PASS

Where USER and PASS are the same values you used to create the System Identity User in comUser.dat. Then check permissions on secret.dat, and restart dmgtd.

mchiaravalle_2 Wed, 08/29/2007 - 12:38

Joe, that was it, amazing!

All seems to be working fine now. Hats off to you!

This Discussion