cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When is a RW string required to backup a device config?

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

I know a RO string is all that is required for the Telnet protocol to backup a device config.

I believe a RW string is required for the TFTP protocol to backup a device config. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is a RW string required for the SSH protocol to backup a device config?

Is a RW string required for the RCP protocol to backup a device config?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some type of read-write or privileged credential is ALWAYS needed to access a device's configuration. For telnet/SSH, this is enabled mode (e.g. privilege mode 15). For SNMP, this is a read-write community string or SNMPv3 username that has write access to the appropriate OIDs.

For RCP/SCP, the user must have enable access to the device. That is, when that user logs in interactively, they must go to an enable prompt immediately without needing to explicitly enable themselves.

"RO/RW string" has no meaning with telnet, SSH, TFTP, or RCP.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some type of read-write or privileged credential is ALWAYS needed to access a device's configuration. For telnet/SSH, this is enabled mode (e.g. privilege mode 15). For SNMP, this is a read-write community string or SNMPv3 username that has write access to the appropriate OIDs.

For RCP/SCP, the user must have enable access to the device. That is, when that user logs in interactively, they must go to an enable prompt immediately without needing to explicitly enable themselves.

"RO/RW string" has no meaning with telnet, SSH, TFTP, or RCP.

you said ' "RO/RW string" has no meaning with telnet, SSH, TFTP, or RCP.'

which is right but from the point of LMS I thought the same as getwithrob did: to use TFTP as the protocol to backup configs (in RME) LMS needs the SNMP RW access - or is that wrong?

Yes, to do SNMP-initiated TFTP, you need a read-write community string or write SNMPv3 username. However, strictly speaking about the TFTP protocol, a read-write string does not mean anything.

Thanks for clarifying this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: