cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

write standby problem

edimonted
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Pix 515E active/failover IOS v7.2 The failover process works perfect. I test powering down one unit, and then the other en works perfect. But, as soon as I do "write stanby" in the active unit, the passive unit goes down (the insde interface). I remember that one time the ASDM aske something about a "peer" while trying to configure the failover. What is that? why goes down? Thanks in advanced.

7 Replies 7

srue
Level 7
Level 7

is your inside interface also the failover interface?

No, I have a dedicated interface.

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

What are you doing? Access firewall by inside interface and run that write standby command???

If you are doing that stop that and configure management IP address and access by that and run the command and see the result !!!

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

My PIX has 6 interfaces, 5 for traffic and 1 for failover. I gues, I cannot use a dedicated interface for managemente only. Is there any other solution? What if I try doing the "write stand" by console? Would I have the same problem? Thanks.

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Second.. See where PIX Connected on Switch Interface IS IT PORTFAST SWITCH INTERFACE??????

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Yes, it is a portfast ethernet. Is a catalyst 2955.

russ
Level 1
Level 1

I encountered the same problem with ASA version 7.2. Upgrading to the latest interim release fixed the problem but then caused a worse problem, so waited until Cisco released a more stable version. It appears version 7.2 has a few bugs referring to failover/standby. You could always try upgrading to version 7.3.

Nevertheless, there is no need to issue the "write standby" command because configs are sync'd whenever the "write mem" command is submitted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card