cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CATOS command questoin

bevans
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question on CATOS that I am sad to ask. I have a command set on an interface:

set vlan 203 3/4

How can I undo this command? I know this is a silly question but I cannot find reference anywhere! Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Friend,

The ports have to be in some vlan and there is no option other than to configure it as a trunk. By default on all cisco switches ports are assigned to vlan 1 which can be changed but cannot be removed completely.

What you can do is just change the vlan assignment for that port.

set vlan 1 3/4

When you issue this command this port will move to vlan 1 which is default setting for any layer 2 port on cisco switches or your option is to configure this port as trunk.

Can you explain what exactly is your requirement and why you want the port not to be in any vlan?

Regards,

Ankur

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

you can apply "clear vlan vlan" command .

But When you clear a VLAN, all ports assigned to that VLAN become inactive. However, the VLAN port assignments are retained until you move the ports to another VLAN. If the cleared VLAN is reactivated, all ports still configured on that VLAN are also reactivated. A warning is displayed if you clear a VLAN that exists in the mapping table.

When you delete a VLAN on a switch configured as a VTP server, the VLAN is deleted from the entire VTP domain. Every switch in that VTP domain will delete the VLAN.

Thanks,

satish

Thank you for your post.

However, that did not work. Clearing the VLAN and then recreating it and the VLAN is still assigned to the port 3/4 as it was before.

What I need to do is remove the VLAN assignment from the port... how do I do that?

Hi Friend,

The ports have to be in some vlan and there is no option other than to configure it as a trunk. By default on all cisco switches ports are assigned to vlan 1 which can be changed but cannot be removed completely.

What you can do is just change the vlan assignment for that port.

set vlan 1 3/4

When you issue this command this port will move to vlan 1 which is default setting for any layer 2 port on cisco switches or your option is to configure this port as trunk.

Can you explain what exactly is your requirement and why you want the port not to be in any vlan?

Regards,

Ankur

That did it!

The port is configured as a trunk. But, after that I couldnt remove the manual VLAN setting assigned to it as well. Setting VLAN1 did the trick.

Thank you!

I think I am having a similar problem. Currently, I have a port on a 6506 that is configured as a member of VLAN1. If I try to set it as a trunk, it still shows vlan1, rather than trunking.

I did a "set trunk 5/3 on dot1q" and the switch indicated the change took, however, when i show the port (show port 5) it still shows as vlan1, rather than a trunk.

2 questions - Will it still show vlan1 if the link is down? and how to ensure the trunk is configured properly?

Hi Don,

When you configure dot1q trunk there is also one vlan which goes as untagg fro mthat trunk port which is also known as native vlan.

Bydefault on cisco switches all ports are in vlan 1 and also vlan 1 is a native vlan on trunk ports.

Now as your port was in default state for vlan 1 when you configure trunk on that port it will have vlan 1 as native vlan and on CATOS to configure native vlan on trunk you also have to configure that port in access vlan with command "set vlan mod/port".

So because your command is accepted your ports in in trunk port with native vlan as 1 and if you want to change native vlan on this port you can run the command which I mentioned above.

Please come back if you have any doubts.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

You have to have a connected link for it to show as a trunk and the far end should also be configured the same way . It will show vlan 1 if that is the native vlan for the port otherwise it will show whatever vlan the port is assigned to . I would use set trunk 5/3 desirable dot1q " as the trunk command on both sides .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card