cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Step by Step configuration documentation

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have the MDS switch under my management and do not have much experience in this area.

I have a procedure passed to me as follow:

1. Create fcalias, port for correct VSAN.

2. Create Zone, if new and add fcalias, also add storage port.

3. Add Zone to Zone set.

4. Activate.

Are there any more detailed instructions on how to do this?

Do most people use command line or the GUI for this type of config?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

18 Replies 18

nitro_rs4
Level 1
Level 1

Those instructions are a little rough around the edges. Now if you are not familar with the MDS they are about worthless.

If you are looking for detailed instructions on how to zone a switch, I could send you some screenshots. Do you use fabric manager or CLI?

Thanks for the reply,

If you have both that would be great.

I would like to learn both ways.

drop me an email so I can send you back a word doc.

gasawayt@hotmail.com

Thanks,

I sent you an e-mail from yahoo.

I appreciate all of the help.

I finished the doc up this morning, so if anyone else would like a copy, please drop me an email.

Thanks,

Troy

Thanks for the document, I really appreciate it.

I have a test server that was set up by someone else, but I can use it to practice adding the server to the Switch Fabric.

But, sonce I have no experience, I am a little leary about going in and poking around an enterprise MDS switch that houses all the servers.

Is there any sequence that I should follow to remove the server from the zone set, zone and fcalias and start again?

It makes me nervous to select "activate".

Are there any steps to follow for removal or anything to watch out for that could hose the whole switch up?

Double Check your zones to make sure that all your hosts are zoned to their respective targets.

Also, activating a zone is a non-disruptive event.

--Colin

Ok,

Well here are some questions:

To Delete the Server

1. From Fabric Manager can I just right click the VSAN and select "Edit local full Zone Database" and delete the fcalias, Zone and Zone Set in that order?

To add a new server:

2. Once the server is brought on line and plugged into the switch, I can from Device Manager put the server in the correct VSAN and give a description, this is pretty much all that is done to add a new server from Device Manager correct?

3. The server at this point should show up in the respective VSAN in the Fabric Manager correct?

4. I can right click on the VSAN and select "Edit local full Zone Database", select "insert" to add the fcalias?

5. Repeat these steps to add the Zone and add the new Zone to the Zone Set?

Hi Troy,

I would like to have a copy of the document. My email mdzuwairi.kamarudin@gmail.com

Regards,

Zuwairi

Can I have a copy also marco.leite@santacruzcounty.us

Lvakraam@gmail.com

All

Why not download the Cisco MDS Cookbook?  It's available on www.cisco.com somewhere and is a very good step by step guide to just about all of the stuff you'll want to do.

Thanks

Steven

Nitro -

I would be deeply appreciative of a copy as well.

coimbreira@yahoo.com

Thank you

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

Most people will find fabric manager a bit more intuitive then the command line. All of this can be done through a wizard based interface.

The configuration guide for fabric manager (the gui) can be found here -

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/mds9000/3_0/fmcfg/index.htm

If you found this helpful please rate it

--Colin McNamara

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: