Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth command

mohammedrafiq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have gig link on switch , but like to allow customer only 10M bandwith, will configuring "Bandwidth 10000" be enough to achive this,

Regards,

10 Replies 10

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Negative. You need to use policing to limit the rate you accept data from customer.

Thanks.

thomas.anthony
Level 1
Level 1

Best way would be adding a rate-limit for the gig port, The bandwidth command would not help.

Hi,

Actually its a trunk gig port with 2 vlans,vlan 10 and 20.

Vlan 10 needs 10M and 20 needs 20M bandwith, can only rate-limit will do the trick or I need Policing,

regards,

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The bandwidth command is useful for dynamic routing protocols and network management agents when calculating link speeds.

As other mentioned, if you want want to control bandwidth on a switchport, you either need to use rate-limit (QoS) or storm-control.

hi,

Can you give me an example , how to do on trunk port?

Regards,

The answer depends on the type of switch you have. QoS implementation varies widely among Cisco switches.

If you have a 3560/3750 Switch, I recommend reading this URL for information on policing traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12237se/scg/swqos.htm#wp1408392

Hi,

Thanks for the URL,as I mentioned its a gig trunk port, but I have only access to my side of the switch, not for far side, So If I do policing on my side , will it work without doing on boht side of the trunk.

I am using 3560/3750 switches.

Regards,

I don't have switches at the moment to lab it up but it should work.

In theory,

1) Create an ACL matching the Vlan traffic

2) Create a class-map and reference that ACL

3) Create a policy-map, reference the class-map and apply the police value

4) Apply the service-policy command in the trunk switchport.

(NB: Didn't double check whether trunk port has issues with following.)

The "normal" policing function appears to be inbound only on the 3560/3750 series. If you want to limit traffic in both direction to 10 Mbps, you'll need two policers. One for ingress on you side, to manage the outbound traffic. And, since you don't have access to the far side, an inbound policer for the trunk.

Two more possible methods to rate limit the outbound traffic, is use "srr-queue bandwidth limit" to limit the port's overall transmit rate (probably not what you want) or manage egress queues using "shaped mode" with one queue dedicated for customer traffic.

The link Edison provided has full details.

Hi,

Thanks , we only concerns that we dont send more than 10M traffic to the customer otherwise they will charge us.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card