Replies

Tomcat Internal Error

Hi all,

Every time i select RME -> Report Generator -> Inventory - Hardware Report,

then I export this report in pdf format the following error is generated:

HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error

type Exception report

message Internal Server Error

description: The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server Error)

that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet execution threw an exception

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:256)

at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:576)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

root cause

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Thanks in advance.

Filomena,

a co-worker of Leonardo

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Looks like Tomcat ran out of memory. Restart dmgtd, and see if this problem is reliably reproducible.

We are also seeing this error at random intervals, running RME4.0.5 under Windows with 6Gig of memory. Restarting dmgtd only provides a temporary fix.

If you can more or less reliably reproduce the problem, you should open a TAC service request so additional debugging can be performed.

I executed following command lines:

dmgtd stop

/opt/CSCOpx/itp/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12/bin/shutdown.sh

I changed parameters into catalina.sh

from #JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xmx1024m -Xminf0.1 -Xmaxf0.1 -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:PermSize=256m"

to JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -Xminf0.1 -Xmaxf0.1 -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:PermSize=256m"

/opt/CSCOpx/itp/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12/bin/startup.sh

dmgtd start

but the problem already exists;

then, I changed parameters into catalina.sh

from #JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -Xminf0.1 -Xmaxf0.1 -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:PermSize=256m"

to JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms1024m -Xmx4098m -Xminf0.1 -Xmaxf0.1 -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:PermSize=256m"

but now tomcat doesn't work!

Thank,

Filomena

Why did you do that at all? Modifying the Tomcat start up parameters was not recommended to you.

You cannot set the maximum memory for a 32-bit Java process to 2048 or above. The highest you can make it is usually around 1900. In this case, I wouldn't go above 1800.

As I said in a previous post, if this can be reliably reproduced, I would open a TAC service request so additional troubleshooting and profiling can be performed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco