cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended switches

tung
Level 1
Level 1

We have about 20 users and 20 servers and currently running on some old netgear switches. We would like to replace it with one 1xGigabit switch to be use for all servers and for all desktop to be use 10/100MB. Here is the hardware I looked at but not sure if this good design. Please help.

2xCisco Catalyst 3560G-48TS= for all server and workstation.

Or

1xCisco Catalyst 3560G-48TS

2xWS-C2960-24TC-L

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

That's Good.

You are fine.

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Dharmesh,

Should I go with the first option or the second option? If I go with 2xGibabit switch will it bottleneck the server and the switch on that segment? Thanks

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some thoughts. . .

Is the server side switch physically distant from the user side? If yes, will it be a copper or fiber connection? If no, you might consider the 3750 series since you can stack them.

Gig copper ports can also be found within the 2960 series. Are you planning on doing any routing? If not, consider 2960G instead of 3560G.

You mention only 40 hosts, but you've listed equipment that has 96 ports? Is this for possible growth?

For fast recovery if a box goes down, you could consider having two 24 port 2960Gs and one 24 port 2960. In any one box fails you can re-patch getting everyone back on-line, since you'll still have your 40 ports. (If the server 2960G fails, replace it with the user 2960G.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card