Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS SLB Exclusively for Internal Clients

gbolger
Level 1
Level 1

I also posted this in the Application Networking section:

We would like to turn up IOS SLB in dispatched mode on (core) SUP720 MSFCs in an HSRP environment. We would sequester the farm(s) of IIS and Citrix servers on an 'SLB VLAN', with our internal client base on an 'Office VLAN'. All databases and other supporting servers for the SLB servers are also on the 'Office VLAN'.

Question: are there any issues, caveats, or compromises related to the back-end SLB servers accessing required resources on the Office VLAN? I am thinking that normal database and supporting traffic initiated by the SLB servers would just traverse the MSFC (as the default gateway) via inter-VLAN routing and that only the client-initiated, VIP-destined traffic on the Office VLAN would be handled by the IOS SLB feature and policies. In this thinking, supporting traffic replies from the databases back to the SLB server would use the routed SLB server's real IP address.

Thanks in advance for any input and experiences with this topology. I'm hoping that this is a forest-for-the-trees situation, but I haven't seen many references to an all-internal deployment of either IOS SLB or appliance-based SLBs.

Thanks,

Gene

1 Reply 1

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

You can put servers in any vlan..Only the subnet sgould be proper router to next hop.

Server load balancing supports by particular IOS versions only:

See on http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/csm/4.1.x/release/notes/OL_7156.html

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: