Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA - usb - encryption

Can CSA force encryption when using a usb storage device ?

Thx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charles,

What you've described is similar to the second half of my post -- you have an application that encrypts data and writes to the USB drive.

Unfortunately, CSA does not do file encryption. It is an IPS. CSA can ensure that only this application can write (or read) to the drive. So you can control access to the USB, but CSA will not encrypt files.

Ron

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rtrunk
Level 1
Level 1

The question is, how would CSA know that the data is encrypted? Suppose I take a database file and encrypt it, then copy it to my USB drive. How could CSA determine that the file is encrypted vs. one that isn't?

On the other hand, if you have an encryption application that writes files, I suppose you could block access to the USB drive and make an exception for that particular application.

I don't know how but Zenworks ESM seems to force encryption :

ZENworks Storage Encryption Solution (SES) provides complete, centralized security

management of all mobile data by actively enforcing a corporate encryption policy on the

endpoint itself.

? Centrally create, distribute, enforce, and audit encryption policies on all endpoints and

removable storage devices

? Encrypt all files saved to, or copied to, a specific directory on all fixed disc partitions

on the hard drive

? Encrypt all files copied to removable storage devices

? Share files freely within an organization while blocking unauthorized access to files

? Share password-protected, encrypted files with people outside the organization

through an available decryption utility

? Easily update, backup, and recover keys via policy without losing data

Understanding Storage Encryption Solution

Data encryption is enforced through the creation and distribution of data encryption security policies. Sensitive data on the endpoint can be stored in a safe, encrypted folder. The end-user can access and copy this data outside of the encrypted folder and share the files, however while in that

folder, the data will remain encrypted. Attempts to read the data by anyone who is not an authorized user for that machine will be unsuccessful. When the policy is activated, an encrypted ?Safe Harbor? folder will be added to the root directory of all fixed-disk drives on the endpoint.

Sensitive data placed on a thumbdrive or other removable media device will be immediately encrypted, and can only be read on the machines in the same policy group. A sharing folder can optionally be activated, which will allow the user to share the files with persons outside their policy group via a password (see ?Data Encryption? on page 98).

Sharing Encrypted Files Users within the same policy group (i.e., those users who have received the same security policy),

will have the keys to access data stored on the endpoint, as well as data moved onto thumbdrives and other removable devices.

Users within a separate policy group (with encryption activated), will be able to access encrypted data placed in the ?Shared Files? folder with an access password. These users will not be able to read encrypted files that are outside the ?Shared Files? folder.

Users who do not have encryption enabled within their policy and users who do not have a ZENworks Security Client installed on their computer (e.g., outside contractors), will not be able to read files outside the ?Shared Files? folder, and will require the Novell File Decryption Utility to read the files with password access.

I was hoping CSA will do the same thing.

Thx !

Charles,

What you've described is similar to the second half of my post -- you have an application that encrypts data and writes to the USB drive.

Unfortunately, CSA does not do file encryption. It is an IPS. CSA can ensure that only this application can write (or read) to the drive. So you can control access to the USB, but CSA will not encrypt files.

Ron

Thx its all clear now !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: