Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505, Right for Design?

aluciania
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am considering purchasing an ASA 5505 device for our remote offices.

I was wondering, these remote sites have cable modems and DSL modems. Does the ASA 5505 work with these modems? Would I just plug my cable or DSL modem directly into the ASA 5505? The DSL modem requires login credentials; can I configure those parameters in the ASA 5505?

Thanks for the advice.

6 Replies 6

fynskisb16
Level 1
Level 1

The ASA 5505 will work with DSL or Cable. By default the outside interface is set up to get a dhcp address. If DSL needs a login, you should be able to have the ASA use PPPoE and use the login info. I haven't used the ASA on dsl yet put I have many Pix 501's using dsl and no problems. The ASA 5505 are sweet boxes.

Hi,

I intend to connect one ADSL router/modem outside the ASA5505 to be used for VPN only. I'm thinking how I can stop non-VPN related packets from going to the interface where the ADSL box will be connected.

There is another connection from ASA to 1841 where I have serial and another ADSL box.

Thanks,

Archie

seehundnz
Level 1
Level 1

hi I have an asa 5505 hooked up to a dsl-modem and connecting via PPPoE. works great.

you can configure the ouside interface with dhcp, static or PPPoE.

I'm still playing around with a few settings (DNS and such), but i can get online quite easily.

hope that helps.

Hi,

I have to mention that the ISP doesn't support PPPoE. Only PPPoA.

Thanks,

Archie

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

ASA5505 is good so is an 18XX series router. I have an 1811W at home because it has the wireless built into it as well. Check it out. :)

The nice thing about the ASA5505 is the couple of POE ports it has built in.

-brad

Hi,

I need to know if the ASA5505 is limited to only using it's switch for the clients in the LAN.

We have 1841 with ADSL modem. Just purchased ASA5505 and installed Serial card on 1841 for Internet Leased Line.

Disconnected ADSL to test the serial connection. Connected one VLAN1 (inside) port from ASA5505 to C3750. (C2960 and C2950 are all linked to C3750.). Clients can't connect to Internet.

The only time it works is when I created VLAN100 in ASA5505 and in C3750 and connected the PC to VLAN100.

I basically this setup:

LAN <-> ASA5505 <-> 1841 <-> Internet

We require VPN terminated on outside of ASA5505 and Internet browsing from LAN.

Thanks, Archie

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: