Views
Helpful
Replies

root switch

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

In STP concept the root switch electing by measuring switch priority, port priority & port cost.

Here I have small doubt what are those things are above mentioned to elect root switch, expecrts can anybody clear my doubt.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

naidu.

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Naidu

The root switch is elected purely on the BID (Bridge ID) which is a combination of the bridge priority and the mac-address of the bridge.

The default bridge priority is 32768. So if 3 switches form your network and they all have the default bridge priority of 32768 then the switch with the lowest mac-address will be elected root bridge. If one of the switches has a lower priority than 32768 then that switch will be elected root.

The port priority and port cost are used in deciding the path to the root bridge once the root bridge has been elected.

HTH

Jon

Hi,

Totally agree with Jon, and just to add a small thing about the port cost and priority, when manipulating the spanning tree root port selection, we will either alter the local port cost using spanning-tree cost on the local switch (since the total route path cost is derived from the received BPDU after adding the local port's cost) or the upstream port priority using spanning-tree port-priority on the upstream switch (since the priority received in the BPDU from the upstream is used in the root port selection), and please note that the root path cost is compared before the upstream port priority.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The root bridge is elected based on the bridge priority (2 byte priority + MAC address of the switch). You may confuse it how the root and designated port selected, because the port cost, priority come to play there.

Hope it clears,

Krisztian

Hi,

More thanks to experts Jon & Mohmmod and their good explains, now I have got good idea on root switch.

regards,

naidu.

Dear Naidu,

You are very welcomed :) and i am really glade that we have helped you out through this, but i find it very strange from your side to rate Jon and me with 3 and 2 since you are that excited with the answers :)

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohammed,

I am very very sorry for the mistake but plz. don't missunderstand me, where I voted by overlook, I hope so that you have good understood on me.

Regards,

Naidu.

Dear Naidu,

No problem at all :) i have already assumed that it was unintentionally, you are very welcomed and have a nice day :)

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card