Views
Helpful
Replies

external ftp/tftp server into LMS 2.6 RME question

subrin_matt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm using the RME 2.6 of LMs ciscoworks and I want to use a PC/worksattion (Linux, windows) with TFTP/FTP server as remote staging. It is possible to declare a server in the RME devices management like a router/switch with (net-snmp soft) and use it as remote staging in order to push IOS on cisco devices ?

Does anyone have done something like that ?

Thanks in advance

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's what I thought you meant, and thus my answer is the same. You cannot do this with LMS 2.6 but you can with LMS 3.0.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use the remote staging feature in RME:

Remote Staging and Distribution

feature is used to do the swim jobs for this slow part (at least for tftp) of the network.

The Remote Staging and Distribution option helps you to upgrade multiple similar devices

over a WAN.

In this workflow, a managed device is used to stage an image temporarily and then the

staged image is used to upgrade similar devices that are connected by LAN to the Remote

Stage. This saves you from copying a similar image, multiple times across the WAN.

After the image distribution job is completed, the configuration changes made to the

Remote Stage device are automatically reversed and the staged image is deleted from the

Remote Stage device.

After the distribution job is complete, you can use the Software Mgmt Jobs tab to:

?Undo an upgrade and roll back to the previous image

?Retry devices that failed a previous upgrade

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000e/e_4_x

/4_0/u_guide/swmgt.htm#wp1452708

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Remote staging, as Dave said, is only for devices in LMS 2.6. In LMS 3.0 (RME 4.1), however, external TFTP servers can be used. So if you upgraded, you would be able to use any TFTP server as your upgrade stage. Though, unlike the device Remote Stage feature, you would be responsible for putting the image on the remote TFTP server yourself.

Okay, In fact I'm scared I have not be very clear.

I used to use a lot Remote staging but there is some place where I have a lots of 3750series and 2800series which can not be stage, this is why I'm asking you if I can put tftp over a PC and find a way to declare it in the RME device to allow me to make the remote staging on that PC instead of router where I can not

hope that is clearer :-)

thanks

That's what I thought you meant, and thus my answer is the same. You cannot do this with LMS 2.6 but you can with LMS 3.0.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco