Views
Helpful
Replies

Encryption and security

evan.proios
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I am being asked a lot of question about the security of phone calls being made over the VOIP system. Some techs in the organization read the it is very to listen in to conversations from remote locations over the network and that even Cisco encryption is very easy to hack. Can anyone elaborate on this? Also how hard is it to set up Cisco Encryption? Right now I have the voice v-lan locked out with strict ACL lists. This is a problem for me because I want to use attendant console and tab sync and I am getting a lot of opposition from network security techs in my organization. I find it hard to believe Cisco would put out these applications if they could not be used safely.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Replies 2

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

If we are talking about a couple of years back, there wasn't much available to secure your VoIP Network. Now, you have multiple things that can be done to make VoIP secure even on your LAN. You can encrypt Voice using SRTP (Using IPSec), TCL to secure the configuration download and so on. Please check the following link which gives more information on how to secure your VoIP Network.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/4_2/srnd4_2/uc4_2/42scurty.htm

P.S: Since CallManager version is not mentioned, I've give the link for CM 4.2. Incase you have a different version, the Security Options available could change.

Hope this helps

Yes, thanks. Yes it is 4.2.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: