Views
Helpful
Replies

Keywork "track" and "DHCP" on the same route

netadmindetail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Can someone tell me why I coulnd't put those keywords "DHCP" and "track", on the same route. I must use an interface route because my ISP's address are assign dynamically.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can create an ip route with track by using the egress interface as the keyword which enables you to use the track option.

For instance, if the egress interface is serial 0/0.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0/0 track [valule]

I already use the egress interface as the keyword, but it's not a serial interface

Router:Cisco 831

ex.:ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet 1 track 1

But instead of using the keyword track, I must use the keyword DHCP to let the router know that he will receive he's gateway from DHCP.

Like this : ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet 1 DHCP track 1, but I can't put those two keyword on the same route.

Does it exist an other way to do the same thing ?

I'm assuming that using

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet 1 track 1

does not work in your environment ?

The packets will be sent to the Ethernet interface whether the interface got its IP via static or DHCP.

Usually yes. But some of my customer's ISP have something wrong with their "proxy arp" on edge routeurs. So I must use the DHCP keyword to be able to connect on the internet.

Perhaps they've disabled proxy-arp at their end for security reasons. I'm afraid it can't be done with dhcp and track option on the same ip route statement.

Can I do tracking in an other way ?

(Like doing it to automatically shut down the interface if the tracking condition is reach, instead of remove the static route from the routing table if the tracking condition is reach. Because if the interface is shutdown, the default route will be remove from the routing table even if this is a ditrectly connected route.)

Shutting an interface down can be down with kron, however - I don't have time to lab it up at the moment.

I don't any other suggestion, sorry.

dont't be sorry.

I found an other way. I change the AD the my default route to an higher value and pass my other default route before it with another tracking object that's negate the first one.

But I'll check for kron too.

Thank you very much

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco