cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site, Encrypt tunnel

1mroberts
Level 1
Level 1

I have point to point T1 with 2x2811 routes. I need to Encrypt the data passing between the two routers. I have tried using and several types VPN of tunnels with limit success. Pings and trace routes work but none of my application work.

3 Replies 3

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Can you post your configs

Here is a sample we do

Router 1

crypto isakmp policy 1

encr 3des

hash md5

authentication pre-share

crypto isakmp key address

crypto ipsec transform-set test esp-3des esp-md5-hmac

crypto map test 1 ipsec-isakmp

set peer

set transform-set test

match address 105

access-list 105 permit ip

Router 2

crypto isakmp policy 1

encr 3des

hash md5

authentication pre-share

crypto isakmp key address

crypto ipsec transform-set test esp-3des esp-md5-hmac

crypto map test 1 ipsec-isakmp

set peer

set transform-set test

match address 105

access-list 105 permit ip

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

HTH

Narayan

Mike,

If you are able to ping and tracerroute after VPN tunnel comes up then there mayn't be a configuration issue. The symptom you described about the application connectivity issue frequently happens as a result of MTU problems due to IPSEC overhead. Can you try configuring the command 'ip tcp adjust-mss 1440' under the ethernet interface facing the LAN and test your applications.

If you are still having issues then can you provide us a sanitized a copy of the configuration.

HTH

Sundar

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you note ping and trace route work, you're sure they are using the actual tunnel? Also, do they work from devices on the LAN sides or sourced from the routers' LAN interfaces?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card