cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing latest version of CME on 2610XM router

CSCO10203269
Level 1
Level 1

Our corp office is presently a 'full blown' CM 4.2 shop (full blown meaning CMs are installed on MCS7835 servers).

I'm trying to setup a 'proof of concept' for one of our remote sites that presently has 3 POTS lines; approx 5 users.

I've got a spare 2610XM router and a VIC2-4FXO card. To run the latest version of CME on it, is it simply a matter of downloading/installing the latest IP_VOICE IOS & CME GUI/phone load files?

I guess my question is more licensing related. If the purchase of our phones included a feature license then it could be homed to either CM or CME correct? If so, what's the purpose of the CME feature license?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

you can practically setup everything as you want and there is no material enforcement of licenses.

Cisco uses the honor system for licensing on routers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

Customers migrating from Cisco Unified CallManager Express to Cisco Unified CallManager will need to contact Cisco Customer Service for conversion of Cisco Unified IP Phone user licenses to Cisco Unified CallManager device licenses.

The Cisco Unified CME Feature License includes a provision to use the feature license for Survivable Remote Site Telephony (SRST) mode.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Cisco makes no license enforcements expecially on devices that are not actively used. Sometime, the related software or hardware is out of sales an cannot be bought not even if you wanted to.

So worry not and make your tests with the old 2610XM.

rrjoas45 - We're not migrating from one CM version to another. We're deciding on whether to add one of our remote site to our present CM deployment OR whether we should deploy a separate CME router instead. Before making any hardware purchases, I'd like to setup a pilot CME deployment on a spare 2610XM router I have lying around.

p.bevilacqua - If I understand you correct... CME will allow me to setup 1 to 3 phones and test all the CME features before I need to purchase the appropriate feature license correct?

Thank you for the replies.

Hi,

you can practically setup everything as you want and there is no material enforcement of licenses.

Cisco uses the honor system for licensing on routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: