cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Span Port sessions

kanwar
Level 1
Level 1

WE have a 6500 and are spaning a port with one device. we are adding another device and I was wondering should I just another line with the same session for the destination interface or is it recommned to have a separate session.

Thx

8 Replies 8

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Is possible with RSPAN only.

Only one destination port is allowed per SPAN session, and the same port cannot be a destination port for multiple SPAN sessions.

Each RSPAN destination session has one or more destination interfaces for each RSPAN VLAN that they support.

RSPAN destination sessions are limited to two, or one if a local SPAN or a source RSPAN session is configured on the same switch.

Hope that helps

Regards,

~JG

MY understaning was that with a single local session I can have two destination interfaces. if that is not possible I should create a second local span session for the second destination interface. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I read this with CCO where two destinations are allowed witha single local session.

Thx

Thx

Only one destination port is allowed per SPAN session, and the same port cannot be a destination port for multiple SPAN sessions. A switch port configured as a destination port cannot be configured as a source port. EtherChannel ports cannot be SPAN destination ports.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/6.x/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1019855

You can have two span sessions,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/6.x/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1019903

Hope that helps!

Regards,

~JG

Please rate helpful posts

Any known performance issues with having two local span sessions in the same 6513 switch?

Thx

I don't think so. Never came across this kind of issue.

Regards

Can you have the same source interface for both monitor sessions and differnet destination interfaces. Thanks in advance

Regards

KA

Hi Ka,

You can create two different span sessions

using the same source port with different destination ports.

The command to add

set span create

Here's an example (all ports are inactive and not connected):

******************************************************************************************

cat6k> (enable) set span 3/1 3/8 create

cat6k> (enable) set span 3/1 3/9 create

cat6k> (enable) show span

Destination : Port 3/10

Admin Source : Port 3/1

Oper Source : None

Direction : transmit/receive

Incoming Packets: disabled

Learning : enabled

Multicast : enabled

Filter : -

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destination : Port 3/9

Admin Source : Port 3/1

Oper Source : None

Direction : transmit/receive

Incoming Packets: disabled

Learning : enabled

Multicast : enabled

Filter : -

Total local span sessions: 2

cat6k> (enable)

Hope that helps

~JG

Please rate helpful posts

This was very helpful

Thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card