cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM vs MPLS

rayroyaleverest
Level 1
Level 1

Is MPLS replacing ATM for WAN technology? Also, what Cisco certification do I study to learn MPLS? What are the most common WAN technologies?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Ray, as mentioned in the previous post ATM is not being replaced, its just getting obsolete, due to various dynamics. As is the case is with any legacy technology when a new more viable and cost effective technology comes up.

If you see there are couple of legacy networks still using ATM, and most of the defence networks traditionally have had a ATM backbone. But now thats changing, in my experience have seen an organization going from ATM to MPLS and Carrier Class Ethernet Backbone.

From the certifications standpoint, you can consider CCIP to start with, CCNA is a prerequisite for the same. Once you are comfortable with the professional level certification (CCIP) you can progress towards the Expert Level CCIE (Service Provider).

Probably Martin here can advise you more on the Certifications and study courses.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Ray, as mentioned in the previous post ATM is not being replaced, its just getting obsolete, due to various dynamics. As is the case is with any legacy technology when a new more viable and cost effective technology comes up.

If you see there are couple of legacy networks still using ATM, and most of the defence networks traditionally have had a ATM backbone. But now thats changing, in my experience have seen an organization going from ATM to MPLS and Carrier Class Ethernet Backbone.

From the certifications standpoint, you can consider CCIP to start with, CCNA is a prerequisite for the same. Once you are comfortable with the professional level certification (CCIP) you can progress towards the Expert Level CCIE (Service Provider).

Probably Martin here can advise you more on the Certifications and study courses.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: